Monday 26 December 2011

29 in the shade with a fresh breeze...


Buenos Aires earlier this month.

Coming out of the hot subway into blazing midsummer sunshine to see... snowflakes adorning the front of the Abasto shopping mall. Bizarre!

Immigration from Europe to Argentina is starting up again, according to the Guardian. From Portugal to Brazil it's been a flood. There seems to be work in Argentina for young graduates from Spain and Italy in particular, where there's none in Europe. & on the streets I see many notices in restaurants and shop windows advertising work. I run into a young Italian woman who's in BsAs on holiday and looking for work: she'll be moving over next year. The climate is good, and the people welcoming. Argentina's history centres around welcoming immigrants and helping them to settle. Of course it's not immigration in the old, permanent sense, but as ever it's people going where the jobs are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm an immigrant in UK and I think your words are so unfair that I don't know where to start. Maybe with thousands of Poles who fled Hitler? Or hundreds of thousands of people from former colonies, West indies, Pakistan and India? Or hundreds of thousands of young Poles, Slovaks, Lithuanians, etc. who live and work here now? Endless asylum seekers?How about 300,000 Russians living in London and another 200,000 in southern England?

Tangocommuter said...

Anon, thank you very much for pointing out that what I wrote conveyed entirely the wrong meaning. I had in mind only political invasions – 1066, the Spanish in the 16th century, the Napoleonic threat in the early 19th century, the Nazi threat in the last century among others. It had little to do with what I was thinking about so I've removed it. Thanks once again.