Monday 14 September 2009

Breaking news!

Breaking news! Another video of Ricardo Vidort has surfaced. Here it is:

& in March I noted that Alberto Dassieu was visiting Zurich, and I linked a couple of videos. Actually I wanted to point out that here was a great tango dancer and teacher within reach of London: I hoped, in vain, that someone with a bit of money might think if getting him over from Switzerland. The page is here: the second video, the D'Arienzo, I've watched again and again. Two moments stand out: at the very beginning when he and Elba Biscay first make contact it's like two magnets. And then there's an extraordinary turn at 0:34 that always makes me smile: you can hardly see Elba's face, but a glimpse suggests she's grinning from ear to ear.

& now a couple of videos of his Swiss visit have surfaced, filmed in beautiful HD. Interestingly, this one features that same vals, but it's a more sedate version. Elba Biscay is known as one of the great milongueras, and it's a pity she couldn't visit Switzerland. Or London.

3 comments:

RealityPivots said...

Thanks!

Andreas said...

Thanks for the vid of Ricardo Vidort. Required watching for aspiring social dancers.
I had the pleasure to very briefly meet Alberto Dassieu and his wife Paulina last year when I was DJing at Detlef & Melina's Open Air Festivalito in St Wendel, Germany. He seemed to me a generous and gracious man, and I felt that informed his dancing. He did a brief demo with his wife that night, and what struck me about him is that he dances completely for the woman. It was an enlightening and humbling experience.

Tangocommuter said...

Many thanks, Andreas. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet; I've just watched videos. But it was an email from him that convinced me that I really should make the effort to go back to BsAs this winter to meet him (and one or two other older-generation dancers). I think I probably already know all the 'steps' I need, but the experience of a 'generous and gracious' way of dancing is sadly hard to find in London.