Wednesday 30 September 2009

Los Ocampo

I've been meaning to get this finished for months. Omar Ocampo and Monica Romero, Los Ocampo, were at Carablanca milonga in late spring. It's just taken a while to process the material.

Los Ocampo are popular here, and their workshops and classes are always well attended. I found them very generous and helpful as teachers, and I like their emphasis on walking well and to the music. They also teach some straightforward material which is useful in dancing in a milonga.

Their shows are something else, often involving a variety of dance forms from Argentina. I don't have much information on the dance or the music: I seem to remember her introducing the first dance, 'Los Ocampo', as a form of Argentine Samba, although it looks a bit like Chacarera. 'Los Ocampo 1' is a milonga. '3' and '4' are closer to tango: '4' must be Piazzolla. They obviously love to dance, and love dancing together, and their shows are always enjoyed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that Los Ocampo are very popular here. They also have a great sense of humour when giving a lesson.
I wrote about them awhile back and they danced a Zamba, which was quite romantic. They do like their folk dances!

msHedgehog said...

No. 4 is "Oblivion" - Adrian and Amanda Costa do a version (live music) here. I'm sure I know the tune of 3, but not as a tango.