Wednesday 24 December 2008

Life in BsAs

Before I left a friend told me someone she knew had moved to BsAs 'because the girls there are more beautiful'. I've been wondering about that, looking around in the streets, shopping malls, milongas. Yes, there are stunning teenagers as there always are. Women in their 20s can look great too, but on the whole I think the pressures of time and money don't always mean that nurture is added to nature: the swimming, gym, pilates, massage, the concern with health and weight, the leisure and the work that help keep European women looking great, may not be as common here. & after 30, this becomes more obvious. I don't notice women in their 30s and 40s looking stunning to the same extent. I suspect the national diet doesn't help, and slimness may not be pursued as aggressively here. Food tends to be solid and in big portions, and I suspect a lot of meat fat, probably lard, goes into pastries and cakes. Getting by looks like hard work. I remember being uncomfortable at first, walking into a tango lesson at 1pm, past a queue of tired-looking people at a bus stop. (But I soon got over that.)

So I hope my friend's friend hasn't been disappointed.

No comments: